1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conservatives choose Matt Hartley for Greenwich & Woolwich

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rob, Jul 26, 2014.

1. rob Administrator

Matt Hartley has been selected by Greenwich Conservatives to fight the Greenwich & Woolwich parliamentary seat at next year's General Election. Hartley was elected as a councillor in May and then elected as the Deputy Leader of the Conservative group on Greenwich Council.

Speaking after his selection, Matt, 28, said:

“It is a huge honour to be given the opportunity to stand in this wonderful constituency and in the place I am proud to call home. In a borough that has been dominated by Labour for too long, residents in Greenwich & Woolwich need a strong voice. Whether it’s over the state of our council housing, the appalling service we receive from Southeastern or the challenges facing our small businesses, I look forward to standing up for residents’ interests and making my case over the next nine months.”

Greenwich Conservatives’ Chairman Cllr Geoff Brighty added:

“Matt was the clear and deserving winner from a strong field of candidates, and as a local choice he is well placed to take the Conservative message to the people of Greenwich & Woolwich between now and the General Election.”

Labour selected Cllr Matt Pennycook as their PPC last December. The constituency is guaranteed to get a new MP as incumbent Nick Raynsford decided not to stand for re-election in 2015.

Leader of Greenwich Conservatives, Spencer Drury, has already been selected to stand as a candidate in the Eltham constituency.