1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Councillor deselected ahead of 2014 elections

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rob, Jan 26, 2013.

1. rob Administrator

Very late on Thursday night I received an email letting me know that earlier that evening, councillor Eileen Glover had not been reselected to fight the Eltham South ward at the 2014 council elections.

The candidates chosen are Matt Clare, who is already a councillor for the ward, Mark Elliott and Nuala Geary. I understand that current ward councillor Adam Thomas will be contesting a seat in Eltham North next time around.

According to the News Shopper, Cllr Glover, who has been on the council since 2002 and is currently also the Opposition Chief Whip, plans to appeal the ward committee decision.
  2. rob Administrator

Commenting on the decision, Councillor Neil Dickinson (Coldharbour and New Eltham) said on the Greenwich.co.uk Facebook page:

Can i express my support for Councillor Eileen Glover....i feel her deselection is a disgrace
  3. rob Administrator

4. rob Administrator

Greenwich Conservatives have issued a statement explaining the process by which its new candidates were selected, adding that the "Federation Officers and the Ward Chairman believe that they have been scrupulous in following the guidelines laid down by the Conservative Party nationally and we respect that it is Cllr Glover’s right to appeal"

http://www.greenwichconservatives.com/node/1434
  5. rob Administrator

Councillor Dickinson has announced that he won't be standing as a candidate at the 2014 council elections following the failure of Cllr Eileen Glover to be reselected. Commenting on Greenwich Conservatives' own Facebook page he wrote:

It is an absolute disgarce,and i fully support Cllr Glover in her appeal.This is the last straw for me and the reason i have decided not to re stand for the Conservative Party in 2014.Cllr Neil Dickinson
  6. Stewart Member

Thanks for keeping us updated with the latest intrigue, Rob.

Although the comment has now disappeared from Facebook it should be noted that Neil Dickinson didn't say he would not stand, just that he wouldn't for the Conservatives.

Am I alone in feeling slightly uncomfortable with the way things are playing out locally? There appear to be some deep, serious divisions within the ranks of the two elected parties of local government at the same time as massive changes are occurring to local services, demographics and the future vision for our area. Just when we need our elected representatives to stand up for local people, they are failing us most by airing their petty squabbles in public.

For the record, I do also believe the local Lib Dems and Greens are failing us, bar a few notable individuals, although without representation or a strong local press this is difficult in itself.
    Darryl likes this.