Deptford Creek Swing Bridge to open

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rob, Jan 18, 2015.

1. rob Administrator

[IMG]

On Monday morning the brand new swing bridge will be officially opened. Although when it is opened it will in fact be closed so that people can walk across it, if you see what I mean. It will swing open for vessels that need to get through which ordinarily will just be JJ Prior vessels going to and from Brewery Wharf.

The official opening is due to take place at 09.30 and, judging from Twitter, there seems to be lots of interest so hopefully a good crowd will be in attendance.

I thought I would take the opportunity to have a quick look in the British Newspaper Archives for any stories from the past relating to previous crossings at Deptford Creek.

Official opening of the first pedestrian crossing at Deptford Creek Bridge in 1805, which was a private tolled bridge.
    [IMG]

Trouble on the bridge! Great story from the 1860s here about "a charge and countercharge"
    [IMG]

When it was decided that the toll would be scrapped and the crossing would be free forever, it led to quite a celebration

[IMG]

Not sure if the official name is the Deptford Creek Swing Bridge, or the Greenwich Reach Swing Bridge or something else. Hopefully it will soon a more colourful unofficial name though... any suggestions?
    Alan Palmer likes this.