1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favourite Greenwich Restaurants

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lararuffle, Jan 8, 2013.

1. 16" East New Member

@ Lara. Will give Real China a second chance then, give Rare a go.

Update on Zaibatsu (the new 'zin'), tried takeaway salmon teriyake and also chicken ramen and it was tasty. Different flavours to the old zin though - the teriyake was nice but lacked a little punch perhaps, and the chicken in the ramen had a slightly peppery taste that wasn't unpleasant but could split opinion. Altogether not disappointed with the fresh taste liked Zin, perhaps slightly pricier.
  2. Dirk Singer New Member

I know its probably sacrilege to say this, but out of the row by Greenwich Pier, Byrons is consistently good with excellent service and a friendly team. The Old Brewery seems to be hugely improved, the food is much better than when it first opened.
  3. Gema Member

I really like Aji Ichiban - I've not had a duff meal there yet. I used to quite like Kum Luang so it's sad to hear it has shut down. I have wanted to try the food at the Old Brewery for a while but the prices seem a bit inflated to me and my mates. Oh and obviously the pie and mash shop is it a hit - great puddings as well!
  4. Pelton Pirate Member

Another vote for Inside as 'the best', and fully support The Guildford (best pub food around).

Pubs?
    Meantime bar is OK but menu too limiting.
    Union is a good pub but poorly laid out for winter. Much better when you can use the garden. Staff variable.
    Cutty Sark food improving, service dreadful but staff are trying.
    Pelton Arms is a great lunch pub on weekends (best real ale pub in Greenwich IMO, and generally the best pub all round).
    Heard good things about the Plume but never eastern there, similar w/Vanburgh (but I hate what they've done inside so don't feel inclined to head over there vs others.

Chinese?
    Mr Chung for me. Friendly family business that've been around for years.
    Agreed re the place suggested in Blackheath Standard too.
    Royal China was greasy and the staff sullen. Is it really so hard to smile and be polite?

Efes Meze is excellent, good food at sensible prices and a lovely friendly family business to boot.

Indian? Taste of Raj in Black heath is head n shoulders as above anything in Greenwich.
    Two experiences with Gurkhas Inn takeaway have been dreadful. Soggy naan, sloppy veg side dishes, curry was just grilled chicken tossed in whatever sauce you order. Won't make that mistake again.
    Mogul takeaway in East Greenwich is excellent by contrast. Way better.

Bianco takeaway pizzas need to be eaten within minutes of being cooked or they're ruined. Bike delivery will fail IMHO if they don't change their style.
    If they have stand-up tables outside in Spring/summer & can catch pub trade they may survive. If I were them I'd be looking to cut a deals with the Pelton & Cutty Sark to supply them!

I tend to avoid the centre.

Any good Thai places other than Laicram in Blackheath?
  5. BobH Member

"Inside" also wins my vote for best restaurant in Greenwich.

On the pub front, I like Richard the First on Royal Hill, which is now my local. My wife likes The Union next door but I prefer the more down to earth feel (and lower prices... ) of Richard the First. I’d agree with the Pelton being the best real ale pub in Greenwich though, and am not adverse to a walk across at the weekend for a couple of pints.

For takeaways, it’s generally The Moghul in Greenwich for a curry as my wife really likes the vegetarian food they do. (And being of Indian extraction claims to know a thing or two about these things... )
  6. lararuffle Member

@Pelton Pirate

Plume of Feathers - I've been there twice for large dinners with family and the service and food was good both times. :).

Gurhka's Inn - Have to thoroughly disagree! I've been going there for two years now am never disappointed. :).

Bianco 43 Delivery (and the one in town) - Completely agree, we collect because we live round the corner. Waste of time otherwise. I really wish their menu was a little more extensive and classically Italian as well. We've only been twice because of that. And I feel that they price themselves out of the market too.
  7. rob Administrator

Was a big fan of Byron before it opened in Greenwich and continue to be now, even if not a biggest fan of the Greenwich Pier buildings.

But talking of burgers, does anyone know anything about a new Twitter account that started recently called BurgatorySE10. It has tweeted some intriguing things like "is SE10 ready to experience the best burgers in London?" and "we are in the process of creating the ultimate burger experience coming very soon to Greenwich".
  8. Gema Member

I love the Richard the First pub too! Never ventured next door to The Union as I've always been pretty content with the former. I pretty much stay clear of all the other pubs in central Greenwich. My other half loves the Plume of Feathers as does my Dad who used to frequent it many, many years ago! I tend to go to the Dog & Bell in Deptford as it is so close to home.

I used to really enjoy Moghul, but personally, I think that it has gone downhill over the past couple of years.

Never been to Bianco, I have looked at the menu in the window before but have never been enticed in.

My guilty pleasure is Pizza Express - but only with a promotional voucher! The staff are genuinely really nice in the Greenwich branch. I don't frequent fried chicken places, kebab shops, fast-food burger restaurants or Nando's so I reckon I'm allowed one mainstream dirty secret. ;)

I've heard good things about Inside but am always wary of going as my husband is veggie and hates cheese (this makes him difficult to please!)

The Pelton Arms - I didn't know that is was so good for real ales. Anyone know if i can use a Camra card in there?
  9. curlywurly Member

Couldn't believe it when we went to Zin the other night and it had all changed. What a travesty!

The prices are a lot higher and the place was empty. I think it was the cheap and cheerful nature of Zin that made it so popular. Does anyone know why the old owners sold up? Then again, probably a good job for my waistline...

When is Jamie's Italian due to open, does anyone know?
  10. South London LaLaLa New Member

I have never tried Inside as I always think it looks too quiet and you could be earwigging your neighbours conversation? Or vice versa.

The Hill is my favourite. I love the setting and the food.

I have eaten at Rare twice now and the steak is the best ive tasted locally (apart from Buenos Aires at Blackheath). I actually love the glitzy decor - gives the place character. Will be visiting a bit more regularly and there is a cocktail bar upstairs, ever more glitzy so maybe not for everyone!

Another vote for Efe's. Really good value for good honest food and good service.

Enjoy eating at the Old Brewery restaurant - but for special occasions.
  11. Scperi New Member

Can't believe nobody has put Vietnam (King William Walk) down as the best chinese (yes it's Chinese and nothing to do with Vietnamese) although sadly they don't deliver.

The new Zin is just as good as the old one thank god.

Apparently Bianco's are doing half price pizzas if you eat it at there take away store. Still the best pizzas in the area closly followed by the Big Red Pizza Bus in Deptford.

As for British food it's a toss up between Inside and 16" West.
  12. rob Administrator

It's due to open at the start of April, I think!
  13. S-k Member

My favourite restaurant is Inside! Aji Ichiban is great and as is The Green Cafe for breakfasts.
  14. lararuffle Member

I never mentioned Trafalgar Cafe for lovely breakfasts. How silly of me!
  15. rob Administrator

lararuffle likes this.
  16. Nugi Member

The Pelton arms appears to be the best local pub around great music great crowd and the food is alright too.
    I also tried the Hill and really enjoyed the food and vibe.
    Is there a way to stop big chains from opening more restaurants around Greenwich and promote and support local businesses ?
  17. Chris Ilett New Member

The Pelton definitely has it for live music. Good atmosphere too. Also The Vanbrugh is good, does nice food. The Pilot Inn the same, but with an even better garden (especially if you have kids). I've heard the Cutty Sark pub is way better now too. Do they do food?
  18. Nathan New Member

Went to Zaibatsu this evening on Traf Road (the new Zin), have to say was very impressed. I wasn't a massive fan of Zin but the food this evening was very good. Sushi was fresh and the salmon teriyaki main I had was one of the best I've had! Staff were also very friendly and worth a mention. Deserves to do well.

Also popped in to the revamped(only seems like yesterday since the last revamp..) Cutty Sark. Looks good and pleased to see a wider range of 'craft' beers and ales. Not so far to walk to get Meantime on tap anymore! Has lost a bit of its charm though and was sad to see they've done away with the Endforth renovation photos on the first floor. What happened to the barrel chairs too? We ate there about a month ago, was pretty good but a bit pricey.

Nepalese - love the Gurkha's Inn. Their chicken chilli dry fry is amazing.
  19. You can't call the Tolly the Richard the First