1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greenwich Peninsula / Blackwall Approach Traffic

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JamieGreenwich, Feb 11, 2015.

1. JamieGreenwich New Member

Does anyone else on the forum walk to North Greenwich Station? I live near the Meantime Brewery, which should be a nice easy walk to the station, but is actually a dangerous route on most days.

Firstly I find that there is a serious issues with cars coming off the Blackwall Tunnel approach, just to go back on. This backs up the local traffic coming up Blackwall lane and causes people to jam up all crossings. It's a suprise that this is allowed as it really does affect the local area.

Once at the bridge crossing, the Green Pedestrian light stays on for about 5 seconds, and you have to dodge cars trying to turn left from the middle lane (Straight on!) while you run over.

Next you get further along to Millennium Way, where there is actually a new crossing for a school but it's not in operation yet, anyway you have to try and find a gap here to cross while lorries fly by. The Sivyer Lorries are a real pain and often stones and grit come flying at you while they speed by, if it's at all wet you may as well forget it, you will be covered in mud.

It's a real suprise that the lorries are allowed to clog up this key road to the station, and do not have direct access onto the tunnel approach from the plant. With a school being built and a large housing development following, do you see this area being improved for people that want to walk to the station? At present it's more appealing to get the bus!
  2. Sven Ellis New Member

It isn't allowed. Traffic on the exit slip is permitted to turn right to access the peninsula via the roundabout, but not to go across to the lane that leads to the on slip.
  3. Alan Palmer Member

I can only quote hearsay, but a friend of mine lives on the peninsula and has in the past mentioned her difficulties walking to the station. I don't know the specifics but I know the traffic was a concern, and she has said that she will only walk on fine days as the trip in bad weather is 'murder'. She is something of a fitness fanatic, and I'm sure she'd rather walk than take a bus.

I'll mention this forum and thread to her next time I see her.
  4. Chris Member

Sven, I'm sure you're right that it isn't allowed, but people do it anyway.
    Not only that, when the traffic is backed up, they exit the Approach at the Woolwich Road flyover, go straight on and keep on the slip road to then perform the illegal re-entry.
    The authorities know about it but haven't done anything as yet.
    As a driver myself, Millennium Road is a disgrace as it is subsiding rapidly and as Jamie says is muddy and full of flying crud. I just avoid it anyway unless I have to transport a handicapped pal to the tube.
  5. AnnoyedCommuter New Member

Totally agree with OP - would love to walk to the tube station every morning rather than wait at Pelton Rd for the 188/422 and sit in traffic for 45 mins, as was the case on Monday. If I can see there's a particularly bad jam in the morning, I will walk, but that route really isn't pedestrian friendly. If the traffic doesnt get you, the fumes will! And I certainly wouldn't take my chances against all the vehicles after dark.
    I would also be interested to know if there are any proposals for improvements.
  6. Chris Member

AnnoyedCommuter - You were hit by a double-whammy on Monday, Tower Bridge and the Rotherhithe Tunnel were closed and it buggered up most of SE London's traffic.
    The Tfl Twiiter feed https://twitter.com/TfLTrafficNews is worth checking before you leave home, if the Tunnel is disrupted, walk. Ironically the latest item as I type is the 're-opening of the Blackwall Tunnel southbound'.....