1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Labour selects Peninsula ward candidates

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rob, Jun 10, 2013.

1. rob Administrator

Local Labour activists selected their candidates this evening for the Peninsula ward at the 2014 council elections. The names selected, according to a tweet from a member present, were Denise Scott-Macdonald, Stephen Brain and Chris Lloyd.

From the existing councillors for the ward, which includes East Greenwich and part of Charlton, Miranda Williams is moving to the Charlton ward, Dick Quibell didn't put himself forward to stand again and Mary Mills was not reselected.

The decision not to reselect Mills shocked many on Twitter, with many surprised at the news and others paying tribute tonight to the popular councilor who came first in the ward at the last elections, held in 2010.

related: Reaction from Darryl at 853blog.com
  2. Trevor Allman New Member

It appears Greenwich Labour Party are intent on removing all their councillors who had any integrity, with Mary being de-selected and Alex Grant being bullied out by the mafia-style leadership on Greenwich Council.

The only positive from this news is that it increases the chances for Greenwich Green Party to get a councillor elected, as much of Mary's success came from a vote for her personally, rather than the Labour Party per se.

Unfortunately, the skewed electoral system will no doubt ensure a democracy deficit will remain in the London Borough of Greenwich, and the Labour Party have more seats than their vote warrants. Only P.R. will break this nigh-on monopoly.
  3. rob Administrator

Elsewhere in the borough, serving councillors Jaghir Sekhon MBE and Barry Taylor from the Shooters Hill ward were also unsuccessful in their reselection bids. Existing councillor Danny Thorpe will be joined by two new candidates at the next election.
  4. lararuffle Member

Hi all,

I'm disappointed to hear Dr Mary Mills has been deselected. Even though I only talked to her once at a Pleasaunce event I felt she really cared about the area she represented and wanted to help. And I was particularly impressed with her communication skills on Twitter, her blog and email, she was/is always friendly, informative and engaging. I hope she might be encouraged to stand as an Independent, she has my vote at least.

So booooooo to the Labour Party, another reason not to vote for them at the local level... Although I hope Matthew Pennycook has more success during Labour's Greenwich/Woolwich MP selection process.

Also, a shame to see Dick Quibell standing down, he seemed like a good local councillor on the two occasions I met him, and he sent me excellent local information on train horns and the dwarf orchard. Highly informative and interesting.
  5. Md78 Member

Labour bankrupted the country. Anyone who votes for them full stop has a short memory.
  6. Franklin Member

Mary

I strongly agree with all those who have urged you to stand as an independent candidate in Peninsula ward.

You have done, and continue to do, an excellent job as our local councillor, and you have been terribly treated by the Peninsula ward Labour Party.

As it happens I also strongly believe that you would win, which would deprive Labour of at least one seat on the Council.

We have had the odd disagreement in the past but I would certainly vote for you – as long as you committed to not re-joining the local Labour Party while in office.

I am sure that would be difficult for you as I understand that you have had a long association with the Labour Party.

However, as an independent you would be freed from the fetters of the local party machine and its domineering leadership, and able to represent the views and concerns of your local constituents even more effectively.

In fact, I am so fed up with the local Labour Party cabal that I would also consider standing as an independent in Peninsula ward, particularly if you did as well, family and work obligations permitting of course...

I plan to post this comment on all the local blogs that have covered this story, so apologies in advance for the cross-posting, but I want the message to be heard by as many locals as possible.
    lararuffle likes this.
  7. rob Administrator

Labour's candidates in the Greewich West ward were selected last night. Councillors Matthew Pennycook and Maureen O'Mara were reselected and will be joined by new candidate Aidan Smith. David Grant had previously confirmed he wouldn't be seeking reselection.
  8. Chris Smith Member

Maverick and strong willed local councillors with personal/non party support and who refuse to tow the party line are fresh air in council chambers - and we have had more than our fair share in the Lib Dems (!) - so this decision on Mary Mills seems in line with what you would expect from Greenwich Labour, as well as a truly astonishing slap in the face for local residents. And I say that from the point of view of a political opponent and one who has not always seen eye to eye with Mary on every issue. Last year she took the time to engage with me on a Lib Dem website in a very constructive way over the local cycling issues that Lib Dems in the GLA were trying to push - she set party differences aside to work for a better deal for local residents - she didn't have to do that. Impressive.

More generally there has been a lot of Press/Social Media coverage on the local Labour selection process ahead of 2014 - far, far more than I can remember ahead of 2010. This may be partly due to the wider use of social media now, but I also fear that many people think this is the real 2014 local election and that, for Labour candidate you must read Labour councillor. Democracy anyone? And the Fat Lady hasn't even left for the Theatre yet!
  9. rob Administrator

Hi Chris, think the Conservative selection in Eltham South also got plenty of attention. Feel free to share details of LD selections as and when they happen :) Don't think Greenwich.co.uk will be able to give same exhaustive coverage next year as we did in 2010 (http://www.greenwich.co.uk/tag/council-election-2010/) but I'm sure we'll do our bit to try to keep people informed.
  10. Paul Member

I just hope the new councillors control the awful Lovells/Greenwich Wharf development that has blighted East Greenwich.
    I thought the outgoing councillors were decent people but their one failing was to take into account local residents concerns about the scale of this development and it's lack of facilities for local people.
    Trevor Allman likes this.
  11. Chris Smith Member

Thanks Rob. Yes, sorry, you are right re the Conservatives in Eltham South - I suppose we ought to have some sort of selection controversy to even things out! Thanks for the offer to reveal our hand ;)
    rob likes this.