1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local councillor declares he wants to be Labour's parliamentary candidate

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rob, May 28, 2013.

1. rob Administrator

Greenwich West ward councillor Matthew Pennycook announced on Twitter at the weekend that he will stand in the Greenwich and Woolwich Labour Party's selection process to find a parliamentary candidate.

He tweeted:

Last week @greenwichlabour voted for an open parliamentary selection. Having received strong support from members I can confirm I will stand

He quickly received the support of another local councillor, Miranda Williams from Peninsula ward, who replied:

pleased to be able to support @mtpennycook an excellent candidate rooted locally but with the national experience needed to deliver for G&W

Sitting MP Nick Raynsford announced in March that he would not be standing at the next General Election, which is due to take place in 2015.

Local London Assembly member, and former leader of Greenwich Council, Len Duvall has also expressed his interest in standing for the position.

[IMG]
    Matthew Pennycook

[IMG]
    Len Duvall
    Geoff3 likes this.
  2. LB2013 Member

Selfishly, I hope Councillor Pennycook doesn't get it as he's been a breath of fresh air locally and we need more like him but if he does get it I should think he will be rather good at it.
    Helen and Geoff3 like this.
  3. Geoff3 New Member

This really is good news, I hope he does well as I can't think of a better and more deserving candidate to replace Nick Raynsford. He's got my support - he'll be a great MP for Greenwich and Woolwich!
  4. Marilyn Member

Matthew Pennycook has my support too. 100%+++. In the time that I've known him as a Ward Councillor for West Greenwich, his commitment to local issues has been impressive. He works tirelessly and puts his full commitment into the things that matter to us, the local people, whilst at the same time remaining mindful of the bigger wider picture.

I really hope that he gets selected as our MP for Greenwich and Woolwich. He should be. The Labour Party NEEDS someone with Matthew's passion and energy to make a difference in this key constituency. He engages with people of all ages/generations and has all the skills and talents to be our representative in Parliament.

M.
  5. Trish Dainton New Member

I'd like to wish Matt every success with his campaign. I got to see Matt's work first-hand a few years ago. Being a full-time carer for my disabled husband, life was tough enough as it was and it can be very frustrating dealing with the powers that be. However, when I was getting nowhere with a street signage problem, Matt cared enough to visit and talked through the problem with me face to face. I am sure his compassionate nature and genuine sense of wanting to make a difference would serve the Greenwich residents well!
  6. Leila New Member

Very pleased to hear that Matt has decided to run. In the two years I have lived in Greenwich West, I have found him to be proactive and efficient, using a variety of means to engage with local people. His unwavering commitment has been demonstrated during his time as councillor, and I'm certain he'll continue to assiduously deliver for residents here in future.
  7. lararuffle Member

I've met Matt Pennycook a couple of times and he seems like a decent hard working person. I do vote Lib Dem as a rule but would be encouraged to vote Labour if MP was on the ballot paper. Good luck!
  8. Deborah New Member

Matthew is with touch with the people of Greenwich and I believe he can inspire and motivate the young people in the area, he's always interested to hear what people in the constituency have to say and has shown that he is aware of the current affairs. It's time for change and as Matthew understands people's needs I think that this important value will make him a good leader.
  9. Darryl Member

10. Trevor Allman New Member

Matthew Pennycock blocked me on Twitter because I dared to criticize the Labour Party, so clearly not one for democratic political debate.
    So he'll definitely not be getting my vote.
    I may also be standing against him for the Green Party, which is another good reason he wouldn't get my vote.
  11. Deborah New Member

@Darryl, I was born in Hackney, but from the age of 3 I lived in Collerston Road until the devilish landlord turfed us out, I spent most of my childhood in Dyson House, I went to Christ Church in Christ Church Way in the 70s and went to John Roan during the 80's, studied at The University of Greenwich and wrote articles for the their magazine as well as The Greenwich Times, you really should do some research.
  12. Darryl Member

Woah, Deborah, actually having these discussions *is* the research, you know :)

OK, I'm happy to accept that you're all genuine residents who aren't Labour party members (even if you write for the council newspaper), backing the man you want to see win. That's good.

But it is worth pointing out that Greenwich Labour does have a history of having Labour Party members posing as disinterested local residents in publicity - here's an brazen example from the 2010 election (Mr Marsh was leader of the council about 20 years ago)

[IMG]

So when someone says "look at these local residents!", and people pop up who haven't had much to say before, that's why the alarm bells ring.

Anyway, I wish Matt luck - whoever wins needs to stop abuses like one I've just posted, and be a positive influence, not least on a complacent and arrogant council where its party's own councillors are terrified of speaking out of turn on even the most trivial issues.

It's a big constituency of contrasts - not just Greenwich, but Charlton and Woolwich too, so from an outsiders' perspective this is going to be an interesting contest. I just hope it's a local with the guts to change things, not a yes-person or someone parachuted in from outside.
    Trevor Allman likes this.
  13. Marilyn Member

Hi Darryl. I live in Greenwich too. I've been here since 2005. I'm not a member of any political party but I value the work and support of Matthew Pennycook to us locals here in West Greenwich.
    Geoff3 likes this.
  14. Geoff3 New Member

Hi Daryl, just to put the facts straight. I also live in Greenwich (King William Walk) and have no connection with any political party.
  15. Trevor Allman New Member

Debbie Smith was also a Councillor. If I remember correctly, they had to have a by-election as she was initially too young to have stood for the Council.

16. Paul Webbewod New Member

Mathew Pennycook has blocked me from replying to him on Twitter. He has done the same to at least two other Greenwich residents. He does seem to be a diligent local councillor but he also appears to be one of the "only speak when you're spoken to" wing of the Labour Party. Not a nice man.
  17. Helen New Member

Hello! I am a real person! I've no connection with a political party, but have received ongoing support from Matthew in dealing with issues that directly affect my family