1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing Relative

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rob, Nov 15, 2014.

1. rob Administrator

Email received from someone trying to track down a relative...

2. dimps Member

It looks like William Arthur Hancox probably lived at 108 Woodbrook Road, Abbey Wood, SE2 in the 70s until his death in 1975. This may ring a bell with someone. I have posted on a couple of local FB pages. Deborah
  3. dimps Member

A little more:

From Derek on Plumstead People. HANCOX, WilliamArthur(1912-1975) died 22nd April and cremated at Falconwood 1975.04.29 (deceasedonline). His death certificate would show who (possibly next of kin) reported the death. Locally HANCOX, WilliamArthur married PAYNE, AmeliaE in 1937; HANCOX, WilliamA married MAY, GladysJ in 1968;

I have also continued to look. I haven't found any children, unfortunately. William Arthur was at 108 Woodbrook from at least 1962 (he and Amelia were there on the 1963 Electoral Register) and he is there until his death in 1975 (Electoral Register, phone books, cremation records). I haven't found a record of inscriptions on Billion Graves. Amelia Ellen died on 20th March 1966 and was cremated at Falconwood on 25th. Prior to his first marriage, William was at 281 Plumstead High St. The deaths of several Gladys J Hancoxes are recorded since 1968, but none of them local. I have not found a marriage for her either.

The kind people on Rootschat.com may be able to help. They like a challenge!

Deborah
  4. dimps Member

From Linda on Plumstead People: Between Oct-Dec 1938 a Jean B Hancox was born (mother's maiden name Payne). A Jean B Hancox married someone with surname Bailey in Woolwich in 1959. Between Apr-Jun 1960 a Lyn Y Bailey was born (mother's maiden name Hancox). A Gary Bailey was born in Dartford between Apr-Jun 1961 (mother's maiden name Hancox), a Kevin Bailey was born between Jul-Sep 1962 in Dartford (mother's maiden name Hancox) and a Karen Bailey was born in Woolwich between Jan-Mar 1965 in Woolwich (mother's maiden name Hancox). She also notes that the person who applied for the cremation of William A Hancox was his wife Gladys Jane Matilda Hancox and they were living at 108 Woodbrook Road, Abbey Wood.
  5. dimps Member

We are now overstepping boundaries, as the above (and any new information) is related to people who are most likely living, so I shall try to contact Bernard directly, rather than on a public forum.
  6. Chris Member

I quite see why dimps but please keep us posted.

Fascinating the research you've done within 24 hours on a British weekend!
  7. rob Administrator

Gosh, amazing research. I posted this on Bernard's behalf so I have forwarded him the link so he can see the replies and he can either register on the forum and send a private message or I can try and put him in touch with you directly, dimps, if thats ok.
  8. dimps Member

That's fine. I have noted that Bernard uses Ancestry.co.uk, so we may have found enough for him to follow up.
  9. dimps Member

I think that I have found William Jonathan Hancox's granddaughter, Jean and have sent Bernard the details.
    Alan Palmer and rob like this.
  10. dimps Member

Good news. Bernard has received a reply from Jean and she has also passed on details of one of her children.
    rob likes this.
  11. rob Administrator

That's great news - thanks for your help dimps!