1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Grandmother lived in St Mary's Lodge

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Percy Vere, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Percy Vere New Member

I hold a marriage certificate of my paternal grandparents as being married in St Alfege Church on 31st October 1903. My grandmother Rebecca Hutchinson, 31, has her residence at time of marriage as being St. Mary's Lodge, Greenwich Park. No occupation was entered.
    She lived in it at a time when The Lodge was still a dwelling which changed to become a Visitor Centre but latterly become to be The Pavillion Tea Rooms.
    As much as she didn't provide an occupation in the certificate I'm wondering as to why she was living there and maybe had some job within the Park. I don't know if anybody could throw any light on this matter or at least be able to point me in the right direction to make further enquiries please. Thank you.
  2. dimps Member

I notice that her father's occupation is given as "Farmer", but "Royal Park Inspector" has been crossed out.
    Percy Vere and rob like this.
  3. dimps Member

It looks like the family were from Kendal. If so, in 1901, Rebecca was a housemade at 17 Stratton St, Westminster RG13/82/5/1. As a point of interest, the celebrated actor-manager, Henry Irving, was resident in the same building.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    Percy Vere and rob like this.
  4. rob Administrator

I did see in a recent planning document which included a brief history of the St Mary's Lodge building that it was built for the under keeper of the park.

The Lodge building is different, by the way, from the Pavillion Tea House building which is up alongside the car park, opposite the observatory.

(Just to confuse things unnecessarily, it appears there's also a St Mary's Lodge very close by adjoined to 70 Crooms Hill which was in use by St Ursula's convent)
    Percy Vere likes this.
  5. Percy Vere New Member

Thank you dimps and rob for your input. You are correct about Rebecca coming from Kendal and her Father a farmer. Prior to that he was a Fishmonger/Fruiterer/Poulterer. I was aware of that entry in the 1901 Census but thank you dimps for the information about Henry Irving which I had no knowledge. From that I see Henry Irving was made a Freemason. My grandfather, George W Weedon, was a FreeMason too besides being an attendant in the London Stock Exchange and an MC at the Guildhall. I can't help feeling there is a connection here whereby my grandparents met and married and is worth investigating.
    While here, you may be interested to know that George had a cousin Dick Howlett whose name was changed for obvious reasons, from Dick to Richard when he became Chief Personal Attendant to the Duke of Yorkshire and Cornwall and thereafter King George V. Richard, a servant and friend to the King, died a year after the King's death from grief. Richard had a daughter, Mary whom was a famous dancer aka Elaine Lettor. Mary married into the Brunners whom helped form the ICI chemical company. The Brunners married into the Gilbey, Watney, Gold, Irving, Gladstone and Worsley families. Quite a moneyed lot but none of it's come my way!!!! I apologise for digressing away from the Greenwich theme from where it all started. Thanks again.
  6. dimps Member

The name 'John' had been crossed out in the box recording the name of the bride's father as well as "Royal Park Inspector", with the corrections noted in the margin. I noticed that one of the witnesses was called John Roughan, so I looked him up in the 1901 Census. Guess what? He lived at St Mary's Lodge in Greenwich Park and his occupation was Royal Park Inspector. His three youngest children were born in St George's Hanover Sq., which is where Rebecca was working at this time. His oldest child at home was born in Canterbury. Another witness was H J Roughan. I have found a Herbert J Roughan who was born in Canterbury.

Percy Vere likes this.
  7. Percy Vere New Member

Thank you again dimps for your input. I did know of H J Roughan as being a witness to the marriage ceremony but didn't place too much significance on him before despite it being a little niggle. It would appear that he is the son of John Roughan. Born in 1880, the only census I've found him in is 1911 working Overseas Military Ships And Overseas Establishments in Mhow Central India. Now we know!
  8. dimps Member

I found him with his grandmother Betsey/Betsy Duffy. The family clearly travelled the world, as there were births in the East Indies and Tasmania. In 1911, John Roughan is recorded as an army pensioner which perhaps explains the movements. On a more delicate note, it would appear from the 1911 census that Rebecca and George lost a child.

Percy Vere likes this.
  9. Percy Vere New Member

Thank you again dimps for your information. Even from the 1911 census I'm uncertain as to what lead you to believe that George and Rebecca had lost a child. I have not investigated myself before, but do you know of any other child besides George James that was born between getting married and the 1911 census being taken. I have now checked the BMD's and found a handful of Weedon children whom were born and died in that set period in the Fulham Registration District but without further investigation would not know which one of them, if any, belonged to George and Rebecca. (Living in Cornwall, I unfortunately do not have access to local parish birth and death registers nor do I subscribe to ancestry.) I am intrigued nevertheless.
  10. dimps Member

Hi Percy. Columns 7, 8 and 9 show, respectively, that 2 children were norn alive to the marriage, 1 child was still living and 1 child had died.

They were at 121 Rylston Road in the Lillie District from at least 1906, before moving to Kenyon Rd.

11. dimps Member

It looks like George applied to be admitted to the Freedom of the City in 1922. He had premises at 15 Moorgate. His father had been a publican in Bengeo, Herts. The Greyhound.
  12. dimps Member

I have him in Kinnoul Rd in the 30s, with Rose Florence Weedon.

I'm aware that most of this has nothing to do with Greenwich, so you might want to PM me. Alternatively, Rootschat is a free genealogy forum which us very good.