1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Nationwide building to be estate agent or bookmakers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rob, Jan 7, 2013.

  1. rob Administrator

    There's been seemingly conflicting reports as to whether the old Nationwide building society building on Greenwich High Road will be an estate agents or a bookmakers. The answer is that it looks likely to be both.

    As I mentioned in last week's Planning round up, Winkworth estate agents have applied for permission to install a new shop front at the address. The plans show that this new shop front and signage will extend to about 3/4 of the width of the original building, leaving an area available on the right hand side.

    See proposed Winkworth shop front (prepare to turn your head 90 degrees)

    A licensing application has gone in from Ladbrokes to set up in what they call Unit 2 at the same address, so it's safe to assume they are talking about the small bit on the right.

    So Greenwich High Road will probably soon have both a new estate agent and a bookmaker in the old Nationwide building.
  2. AB3 Member

    If anybody wishes to make an objection against the use of the site for gambling, I understand that they will need to do so by the end of today (8 Jan 2013). In order to make a valid representation against the use of the site for gambling, I have been informed that the representation needs to cover the "licensing objectives". You therefore need to highlight one of the following:

    • Preventing gambling from being a source of crime and disorder – the Guidance says that “disorder” means more than just “nuisance” and would have to be something significant enough to justify calling the Police;
    • Ensuring gambling is conducted in a fair and open way;
    • Protecting children and other vulnerable persons from being harmed or exploited by gambling. This includes people with gambling related problems.

    The Guidance says Local Authorities should permit gambling if it accords with the Gambling Commission’s Codes of Practice, the Guidance, the licensing objectives and the Council’s Licensing Policy...whatever that means.

    Email your objection to: licensing@greenwich.gov.uk
    Details: Application to Grant a Premises Licence - Gambling Act 2005
    Ladbrokes, Unit 2, 279-83 Greenwich High Road
    rob likes this.
  3. rob Administrator

  4. rob Administrator

Share This Page