1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Real Ale Pub recommendations required

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by apinnard, Jan 20, 2013.

1. apinnard New Member

Good evening folks,

I am a semi regular visitor to Greenwich when I am down in the capital. I love the place! I often take the Thames Clipper from Central London and head out to Greenwich and Woolwich areas.

I am arranging a meet up for some friends in the coming weeks, starting in Greenwich. We all like real ale so I am wondering if you have such things in the locality and which ones come best recommended.

Many thanks.
  2. Gema Member

Not strictly Greenwich, but if you follow the Thames path back towards Deptford you'll find the Dog & Bell, which sells lots of real ale and Belgian beers.

http://www.thedogandbell.co.uk/
  3. Darryl Member

The Pelton Arms is the best pub for real ale in Greenwich, six (or is it eight?) pumps and plenty of space. http://www.peltonarmspub.com/

The Plume of Feathers also isn't bad.

Otherwise, yes, it's over to Deptford and the Dog & Bell.
  4. Pelton Pirate Member

Another vote for The Pelton Arms. Green King IPA & Bombadier are always on with 6 guests on cask.
    Nearby on the quayside the Cutty Sark is now a Fullers pub and usually has 3 of theirs plus a guest on cask.

The Richard I is a good Youngs pub with their brews.
    The Union next door usually has 2 guests on cask and various Keg brews from the Meantime stable. The Meantime Bar at the ORNC has 3 cask, usually 2 guests and London Pale.

The Plume is a lovely pub with 3 on cask I believe.

Not been to The Gypsy Moth, Spanish Galleon, Lost Hour or Mitre for a while but the Trafalgar & the Yacht are nothing special (albeit bar staff are friendly at the latter).

Dog & Bell is rated as the best by Des de Moor who knows his stuff, I've not been yet but it's on my list.
    rob likes this.
  5. apinnard New Member

Thanks guys very helpful. I am meeting friends this evening at London Bridge but will go and sample Pelton Arms on my own around 3pm.
  6. apinnard New Member

If any of you are there, look out for a tall fat guy with a grey cap. :p
  7. Pelton Pirate Member

If you'd like a recommendation nr London Bridge, seek out Simon The Tanner on Long Lane. Great pub, great food.