1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trafalger Tavern - Our wedding in scaffolding!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dan, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Tyler New Member

The pics are pretty similar to the ones the venue itself sent us yesterday.
    One way of making noise is on Twitter. You just need to include the words Trafalgar Tavern in the post and anyone searching will find it. If you don't have a Twitter account it's easy to set one up.
    The Evening Standard reporter who wrote the story about the tax fraud is now working on this one.
  2. Emma Bennett New Member

Hi everyone, just wanted to jump on the bandwagon. I was due to get married at the Trafalgar in 5.5 weeks and got told on Monday that the scaffolding would be covering the entire front of the building but only after I emailed them to ask why it was still there when I have been assured by them on several occasions over the summer that the work would be completed by my wedding day. Surprise surprise, the Manager has been AWOL for the past two days and the office staff have no answers. They have luckily refunded my deposit but have told me that I won't be getting any sort of compensation. I've luckily managed to find another venue at this short notice but it's costing me £4000 more which we're having to take a loan out to pay for and will now be starting our married life in debt. On top of this, I've bought lots of decor that is no good for the new venue as well as printed invitations with the Trafalgar's details on.

I'm so upset at how we've been treated and disgusted at how they've dealt with the situation.
  3. Tyler New Member

Welcome to this angry group, Emma. Sorry you're part of it too. I just spoke to Khaing on the phone who said quite stroppily: "It's not just you who's angry you know, there are plenty of people even angrier than you. We've got 13 weddings in August." I told her I know, I've been getting to know several of them on here.
    It seems like the main man is Chris Cocker, who as you say is Awol. I've given the Evening Standard his name and email address, and I've emailed him now too.
    Do you mind if I ask which venue you've found, Emma? Are they doing ceremony as well as reception? Not that we've got an extra £4,000 to spend either...
  4. Emma Bennett New Member

Hi, we've booked the Naval College next door. I called them in tears on Monday and the lady there, Lizzie was more than helpful and said she would do whatever she could to help us. She showed us around last night and has worked out a really good discount for us. She has been amazing. It's nice to actually deal with a professional company!! We couldn't go anywhere else anyway because all of our guests have booked hotels in Greenwich.
  5. Tyler New Member

Wonderful. Yes, same for us with hotels. Glad you've got it sorted – and at least if you're having to up your spend it will be a totally fantastic venue.
  6. Tyler New Member

So the latest is that anyone can go to the Battery at Canary Wharf. We told them we want to stay at the Trafalgar as the least bad option, because the whole point was getting married in Greenwich. They have said we can do that but they won't give us a penny discount/compensation. They've said the same applies to everyone else. The guy who made the decision, Chris Cocker, is still not returning emails or coming to the phone. These people are absolute crooks, evil, evil, evil. Have other people heard the same thing?
  7. sci-figal New Member

yet others received compensation.....
  8. Tyler New Member

Lorna told me just now that the people who received compensation were very early on. She read out Chris Cocker's email which said they don't have to offer a discount because the building works don't affect their ability to offer the service. I'm now tweeting in overdrive
  9. Dan Member

I think what is important here, given there is no way of getting around the fact that the scaff will ruin the views you have all paid for, is :-

-When were you all notified. Were you deceived until payment was received? Who found out about this first? Is there direct evidence showing that you are only informed after you have paid? When did it go up and when were you notified?
    I know for us we were notified a week after it went up.

-Also, can you get in touch with the landlord? does he/she offer the same explanation as Inc?
    Can you get in touch with the Scaffold company? find out when the job was was booked in?
    Scaffolding cannot be booked and installed overnight! Ask the neighbours if they received notification of the works and when.

-Get an exact description of the works happening. Is it 100% "emergency works" or is it actually routine maintenance?
    If it's not "emergency works" they may well have broken the contract!

When I wrote my good review of the day, I had made the conscious decision to deliberately forget how bad the build up was. The day was amazing and the service was great but the build up was a nightmare and caused much unneeded stress. My overly positive review and recommendation was based on getting compensation, the scaff not being over the front view and me actually giving the venue the benefit of the doubt and thinking they would not do this again to other couples.
    We did experience the same as you guys in terms of communication, I didn't get the impression that the co-ordinator could do anything or had the authority to help in any way whatsoever. Also at times I found her rude, disinterested and smug. I must say, on the day she was very good though. Again I had to hold myself back with her sometimes as ultimately I knew she would be overseeing the day. What a great way to plan your wedding, in fear.
    I did meet Chris, who was the Ops manager. He was more amicable and understanding it was after this meet that we received the offer of compensation.
    I imagine with events booked every week, this could really threaten what is left of this company. Knowing people who have worked for Inc and had multiple pay checks paid months late, the support is not there for the staff to "care" about your wedding. somehow you all need to get together and go to the top. Frank Dowling.

I really hope you guys can make something happy out of the situation. and, again, if i can offer any information please just let me know.

Dan
  10. Anna New Member

Hi All,

My partner and I are in the same boat, with wedding booked for the end of August, and we were told 2/3 days ago there was scaffolding on the river side.

Sympathies to everyone, and thanks for sharing experiences.

We first visited the venue in February, and there was scaffolding on the road side (I think), and we may have asked about it. I can't remember the details.

But at our food tasting, which happened in May, my partner asked about the road side scaffolding (not on the river side), and was told it should be gone, but it may be that there'll be scaffolding on the river side, but she (Khaing) made it sound like a fairly remote possibility. We looked aghast, and asked if there would be a significant reducation in the costs, and she said yes/nodded, without hesitation.

So that looks pretty certain that the scaffolding up now, on the river side, which severely compromises the venue, was not some sudden decision, it was a possibility (and maybe they knew for sure) back at least in May.

We have been told there will be no reduction in the fee, it's not their fault, their hands are tied etc. I have said to them that it is their responsibility, a service they are providing, which is now very different from what we thought we were getting and what is advertised, and that we would not have ever booked the venue with scaffolding on the river side. That is inconceivable.

We've paid our deposit, and for a saturday, it's not cheap. We are having a more expensive wedding than initially planned because we loved the Trafalgar so much.

The stress of tryign to find a new venue with so little time is just awful, we had already done thorough investigations on venues, and are really busy, and I'm abroad for 3/4 weeks in a day or two. Plus I could well imagine we may even not get the deposit back.

We've been offered the Battery Club. And - told it's a 'far more expensive' venue, like we're meant to feel grateful or something? I'm going to have a look at the Trafalgar adn the Battery club today, but the Battery does not look like the kind of place we would have chosen, despite stunning river views, as it's a corporate look, al aircon, just the one room, infinitely less charm and character. Anyway, given the situation the company may be in and the stress involved, and that the Trafalgar with scaffolding on the river-side is going to be pretty distressing, we will probably go for the Battery if it looks good enough. But let's see.

But I would still like to pursue this in any way possible - compensation, or at least getting the people to take responsibility who should, and will support other people in the same position, some in a far worse position I can see with their wedding dates far closer. I don't think anyone should be paying a hire fee for the building/venue in the current state. They also make a significant margin on food/wine, and all the other pub venues we visited had no fee, just a minimum spend.

Anna
  11. Pcchan1981 New Member

Hi guys, I think you've all got caught up in a bit of scaffolding and lost some perspective about what's important. You're getting married to the person you love, in front of the people you care about. River views and a bit of scaffolding isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Hope you all have a good day, but much more importantly, a great marriage.
  12. Vicabob Member

Please don't patronise us all. Have you even been affected by this? We have all spent thousands of pounds and invested a lot of time and energy only to discover that we have been deceived and subsequently denied any form of compensation. I strongly suggest you keep these comments to yourself as you may find that you anger a lot of people on this forum.
    Tyler likes this.
  13. zlmmurphy New Member

Hi all, we received the news about the scaffolding today from Khaing (a particularly rubbish email at 4.30pm) on a Friday. Our wedding is Sept.

We are reeling and unsure what we are going to do. Surely it's worth all of us getting together to pursue action against the management / seek compensation / recognition that this is hugely going to impact a special and v expensive day. It's harder to ignore all of us in a joint action?
    Tyler likes this.
  14. GORN Member

> it is horrific
    Well, hardly. Disappointing, yes, and possibly a breach of contract, but "horrific" seems rather OTT.

> Our wedding is Sept.
    > We are reeling and unsure what we are going to do.
    Presumably your practical choices boil down to (1) deciding that it doesn't really matter and you can live with it or (2) booking another venue.
  15. GORN Member

"We have been told there will be no reduction in the fee, it's not their fault, their hands are tied etc. I have said to them that it is their responsibility, a service they are providing, which is now very different from what we thought we were getting and what is advertised, and that we would not have ever booked the venue with scaffolding on the river side. That is inconceivable. "
    If you made that clear as a condition of the contract, as presumably you did for something so important, then you should be able to go ahead and incur reasonable costs in finding an alternative venue. Have you spoken to a lawyer yet?

Caveat: I am not a lawyer. My advice here is worth what you pay for it :)
  16. Dan Member

The last thing this thread needs is pointless arguing. It really is a case of not getting what you paid for, being treated badly, "the most special day of your life" , the day every little girl dreams about, being stressful. I think it is reasonable for people to air their grievances and try and get together to correct the situation with a company that has a bad history. It does seem deception was used to obtain money then information was released.
    I think that's all reasonable.

Imagine if it was your daughter and she was upset that her hard earned cash was taken then she was told about this! Come on!
    Tyler likes this.
  17. GORN Member

If it were my daughter I'd have been telling her to get a grip and not be trying to live this marketed fantasy of a perfect wedding day, and that what matters is the marriage not the wedding. But that wasn't what I was trying to do - I was trying to pragmatic ways forward for people wantimg to deal with an issue, but it's become coear that people just want to have a moan about how dreadful it all is rather than solve a problem, so I'll bow out here and leave you all to it.
  18. Vicabob Member

Despite having found an alternative venue and having finally received the treatment one would expect in a situation like this, this was from Lorna incidentally not Khaing, I would still like to pursue some form of compensation for the inconvenience and added stress caused. I am more than happy to embark on a joint action scheme.

Is anyone else interest in joining us?
  19. Gudrun New Member

Hello. I'm a producer at BBC London TV News. We're interested in doing a piece on this re. your planned weddings at the Trafalgar Tavern and wanting compensation. Can anyone interested in participating please email me asap at gudrun.lawyer@bbc.co.uk Thanks.
  20. Tyler New Member

We're going ahead with the Trafalgar without any compensation. I'm getting on well with our planner but I told her in advance we wouldn't let up on the public criticism, and I've been putting it about a bit in the media. I was particularly disgusted with the quotes from the Trafalgar in the News Shopper yesterday. "We are the victims. We need to make money. The view is extra." Charmers, aren't they?

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/11355006.Greenwich_pub_scaffolding__destroyed_our_weddings_/

Vicabob I'll still be complaining to the licensing department at Greenwich Town Hall in a bid to have the Trafalgar's right to hold ceremonies taken away. That won't stop them holding receptions but it will be a way of indicating that the council no longer endorses them - and from private conversations it's fair to say the registrar's office are utterly disgusted by all they've heard.

And yes, if there is any way of banding together to get compensation, I'm up for that. I assume Chris Cocker knows his contract far better than we do, and there will be some small print in there about not being liable for unforeseen eventualities and/or necessary maintenance to the building. But I'm quite taken with that line "the view is extra". It's not what the brochure says...