1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cafe Sol owner starts petition to save restaurant

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rob, Jun 27, 2014.

1. rob Administrator

[IMG]Cafe Sol, Greenwich by Uretopia, on Flickr

The owner of Cafe Sol on the corner of Nelson Road opposite St Alfege Church has started an "urgent petition" to help save his restaurant.

A sign in the window reads:

https://twitter.com/greenwichcabby/status/482612631468249088

The plans referred to were submitted to Greenwich Council on behalf of the landlords back in February. The planning application would convert the first floor of the former Burtons shop from offices in to an enlarged space for the downstairs restaurant. The second floor would be turned to residential from offices. The top storey is already residential and this would be extended slightly too.

The application says its vision for the property is to:

The planning application can be seen here
  2. Geoff3 New Member

Hi. Can anyone tell me whether this application got approval - or what are the chances of it getting approved?
    Very keen to find out.
    Thanks.
  3. Md78 Member

Not a fan
  4. Scott New Member

The building is pretty dirty and so are the canopies. I've not been in there to eat, so I don't know whether it's worth saving or not. Also couldn't they come back after the renovation?
  5. Mr H Member

Scott - once they have left for redevelopment it would be very unlikely that they will be back as Greenwich hospital will raise the rents dramatically. Greenwich hospitals are forcing their tenants out by buying out the leases or jacking up the rents.
    I was employed by one of the businesses who have to deal with Greenwich hospital, and they are not the charity that they make themselves out to be.
    You should see what they charged the tenants for the building works on Nelson road and Greenwich church street. It was shocking and it wasn't even done properly.